Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Christmas and thensome

I am playing a bit of catch up here. We spent a week in Germany and then Christmas and New Year's at home in Dublin. Here are some of the highlights:

I don't think this picture gives our tree the size justice it deserves...it was large. Easton got to help trim.


We got our house all ready for Christmas and then headed off to Germany. We were a little scared to go, seeing as neither of us speak a lick of German...and we were planning on driving a lot. It was a great trip though even if we did get stuck for 7 hours in a blizzard.
It was really cold there and one of the main reasons we were going was to see the Christmas markets all of which are outside. We just had to bundle up...

I think Owen still has some pent up hatred toward us for this. He really despised this snow suit thing.
Our trip started in Cologne (Koln). It is a really pretty city. The Christmas markets here are really cool, one especially is right next to this huge Gothic cathedral, The Dom.




We went from Cologne to Frankfurt to see the temple there:

But didn't spend much time there because we were trying to get to Dresden by late afternoon. And this is when we spent 7 hours completing what was supposed to be 3 hour drive. Lots of snow and ice on a downhill and semi's don't mix and thus we were stuck for 4 hours. Boo. But our kids did pretty well and we were alive so to Dresden we continued. Again, didn't spend much time there either since it was all eaten up by the blizzard but we did stop in neighboring Freiberg to see the temple there:


We continued on to Berlin. We did more Christmas Markets and some touristy stuff. We ate a lot on this trip:


Some melted cheese and potato on bread goodness.

Lots of gingerbread.

I didn't actually try these and I am really regretting it.

'Berliner' doughnuts.

We loved the Checkpoint Charlie museum in Berlin. Checkpoint Charlie was the American entry/exit tower and the only access point over to West Berlin from East Berlin when the wall was still up. The building is now a museum with tons of pictures, stories, memorabilia, etc. from everything that surrounded the Berlin Wall. It was so interesting. Rob and I could have easily spent 3 hours there but instead spent 25 minutes since we have 2 wee children. Maybe some day we'll go back...in the summer.

Outside of the museum.

Remnants of the wall.
We really liked Berlin and wished we had more time to explore there.

A Berlin Christmas Market

We came back to Dublin feeling a little bit more Christmas-y. Here are a few pics from Christmas:


I like this picture because it almost looks like Easton is being patient and sharing with Owen:


Two of my fave gifts of the season: The Puma's (thanks mom) and the socks (thanks dad and Nancy). I needed them both.


Owen enjoys "fishing"



Rob carves the turkey for our get together:


We missed all of our family but had a nice quiet Christmas.
And just because this post isn't long enough:

Mr. Undies he has named himself.

The kids favorite morning activity. I swear we've never used that thing.


Come and visit us in Europe...you'll have to wear one too when we go swimming!

Happy 2010 everyone!!

7 comments:

Sarah said...

This was a very enjoyable post! You have such a cute family and I am proud of you guys for braving Germany, snow, foreign language and all.

Nicole Sue Taylor said...

Looks like so much fun! Glad your Christmas was quiet- ours was crazy with 18 people in one house:)

Michelle said...

You live such an exciting life. I can't imagine being able to take a little trip to Germany because we feel like it. How nice! I'm glad you had a great Christmas.

Kari said...

I've been waiting for this post, and it didn't disappoint! Germany sounds like it was quite the adventure. You guys sure are making lots of memories.:)

Amy said...

Steve and I got a good chuckle out of Mr. Undie pants. :) I love reading your posts. We wish we lived closer so we could be enjoying you in person though. :)

Lizzy said...

I wanna go to Germany too!!! I'm so glad that you guys are making all these trips before you leave. I loved all your pictures. I can't believe how much the boys have grown up since we saw you last May.

2x2momma said...

Your Christmas looks so merry. I love the photos of the Christmas markets, how cool, and I'm so glad you guys went there. What a great trip.