Tuesday, April 20, 2010

First Things First

We have a lot of things to blog about these days but first things first...Spain! We went back to my mission a few weeks ago with Rob's dad and step-mom and had a great time. It was warm and sunny, and everything I remembered it to be! Here are a few highlights:

Our place was right by the beach which was great. Easton loved it and Owen didn't so much. He hated the sand. Would not touch it at all. He wouldn't walk on it. He stayed on the blanket but preferred to just sit on my lap...it was funny.


We stayed in Malaga (well, Fuengirola, to be exact) which was one of my areas. We visited my old area and things are pretty much the same. Even bought some fruit from the exact same fruit guy that I used to buy it from. It was surreal being back there...seems like a different life in a way. We also took a day trip to Granada to see the Alhambra, which is a Moorish castle and stronghold. Unfortunately we weren't able to get tickets for it but did get tickets to the gardens which were cool enough and gave the kids a chance to run around.

Here is us with the Alhambra in the background


As a missionary I always wanted to come back to Spain and have time to just eat and lounge in all of the cool plazas. While in Granada we ate lunch and ice-cream in the sun in a plaza all the while listening to flamenco music and watching Easton bust a move. It was awesome.

Richard and Nancy deciding on lunch


Enjoying our ice-cream


We also visited the Fuengirola zoo which was really fantastic actually. It was small but really well done and they had a lot of cool features.


We went to Cordoba, another of my areas, on Easter. Being Semana Santa (the Holy Week) I knew we would run into some of the festivities. And we did. First we visited my old area. There was a candy shop in the basement of the building where we lived there...here we are in front:



We ate lunch in another plaza...yay!...

And ran into a Semana Santa parade. The priests wear these KKK-like hoods (I don't remember the reason behind that) and they usually hold some sort of huge float with Jesus or Mary or someone on it accompanied by a lot of smoky incense.
This one had a float with (a kind of weird looking) Jesus on it

And here you can see the tops of the hoods and a little bit of the smoke action:


Not really my thing but it is interesting and I'm glad that we saw it actually. We got caught in a parade just like this one on the mission and literally could not move for like 2 hours because of the crowds...serious business.

While in Cordoba we saw the Mesquita which is a mosque that Christians literally built a church in. It is one big juxtaposition with the Arabic architecture and the Christian art:


I visited the Mesquita on the mission but when Rob asked me what I remembered about it all that came to mind was this painting of John the Baptist baptizing Jesus with a sprinkle of water from a sea shell. We found the painting:



Easton also loved all of the lemon and orange trees and tried to pick them every time we passed one. They are so pretty and smell so good:


We had so much fun. I can't wait to go back someday. I'll post soon about our last days in Dublin and our move to London...any suggestions for a new blog title??

9 comments:

Nicole Sue Taylor said...

Ahhh! I so want to go to Spain, and I've actually always wanted to see the Alhambra. I'm impressed to that you used the word juxtaposition in your blog - you sound so educated.

I'm glad you guys are having so much fun your last little bit in Europe.

Haymonds said...

Aussie Adventures, of course!

The Gillis Family said...

I loved the pictures. Owen looks so big and happy. Easton isn't the little boy I remember either. I can't wait to see you guys again!!!

Brooke said...

Looks like you had fun! I am so glad to see some new pictures of your kids. They are getting SO big. Good luck in London, hope the move goes smoothly. New London blog title: Mind the Gap (for the subway system). ;-)

John&Tami said...

Glad to see you are ok. You've made it to England I heard via the ferry. We miss you guys. Look forward to see you Katie in May.

Kari said...

Great pictures! Now I really want to go to Spain, too.:) Can't wait to hear about the rest of all your happenings...

LBB said...

That trip looks great! But London? I thought Australia was next on the itinerary . . . maybe this is just an intermediate stop. The boys are darling - so fun to see pictures of them.

Lynn

Brooke said...

It looks like so much fun and makes me want to visit Spain. I like the picture of you guys eating ice cream and the random guy giving a weird look. Your boys really are so dang cute! I would've loved to see Easton's "moves".

Sarah said...

I am so glad that you got to go back to your mission. It is also fun for me to see your picture from Granada in front of the castle. I have one just like it! Have fun in London. The Natrual history museum looks awesome. My boys would love it!