Sunday, August 9, 2009

Paris

We just got back from a 4 day trip to Paris. It was great. We laughed at our guide book's suggestions for "Your Romantic Paris Vacation" because it wasn't exactly romantic with our boys but it was fun. We never set foot in a museum or church but we saw pretty much every big tourist attraction and park and walked miles. Here are some pictures from the trip:

Paris has tons of these public bikes that anyone can just take and ride and then park in a new location...pretty cool.

This was our apartment where we stayed...it was in the Latin Quarter and very nice...except that it ended up having no doors or walls which was a little rough putting the boys to bed but we survived.

We took a cruise on the Seine...Eiffel Tower in the background.


Eating FRENCH onion soup and FRENCH fries...we are lame American tourists.


Owen got in on the FRENCH food too.


We stopped at lots of playgrounds to give the boys a break from the stroller. I love that Paris has playgrounds right in the middle of urban areas.

This was a full on carnival right behind the Louvre. Easton and Rob rode the Ferris wheel.

The Louvre


Notre Dame. There was a massive line to get inside here. No thanks. Maybe someday when our kids are older or Rob and I go without the kids it would be nice to check it out but this time it was cool enough just to see.

Man carrying lots of french bread.

This is how Easton and Owen saw Paris. We got tons of stares and comments on our stroller...from everyone. Have they never seen a double stroller before?

The Jardin du Luxumbourg. This was an awesome park that was beautiful, had a cool pond with toy sailboats that Easton loved, and a sweet playground (that you had to pay to go into, by the way). We lounged on the grass, played by the pond and ate crepes. It was a good time. (This pic came from Rob's camera and doesn't quite do the park justice...and it wasn't quite so dark and scary looking outside!)
It was a really fun trip and we were really thankful that our boys were such good and happy travelers. Rob and I felt like stupid American's a few times for sure. I was buying stuff at the grocery store and the lady told me how much the total was and I had a 20 euro bill and a 5 euro bill in my hand. I handed her the 20 and she gave it back to me and took the 5 from my hand. Righto. I think it inspired Rob to take some French lessons.
We can't wait for our next European vacation!

11 comments:

Brooke said...

So cool! I am excited you got to see Paris! Did you guys have to pay to use the bathrooms too? I remember I did when we were in Paris! Thanks for the pictures!

Haymonds said...

Sooooo jealous. Hey, next time you go to Paris take me. I'm fluent!

Heather said...

that looks so fun.

The Gillis Family said...

WOW sounds like fun!!! I am glad Rob finally got to go to Paris. Owen is getting so big! I can't wait to see you guys again!!!

Amber said...

That is so smart to take advantage while you're living so close to the continent! Paris looks cool. I think that public bike thing is awesome.

Michelle said...

How fun! I'm so jealous that you have so many cool locations to visit that aren't an ocean away. Too bad you didn't have Jeff with you to translate, didn't he go to France on his mission?
Your boys are so cute!

Jason and Becky said...

Looks like lots of fun - way jealous. Your boys are darling.

Julie said...

man what a fun trip! I would love to go to Paris some day. I love all the pictuers too! Maybe you should invest in a double stroller company in Paris since it was such an attraction. :)

Nicole Sue Taylor said...

OWen is soo soo cute! Look at those cheeks. Him and Anna definitely have to get married. PAris looks beautiful!

Kari said...

Looks like it was a great trip! I love the picture of the boys sleeping in the stroller.:) And Owen looks so grown up, I can't even believe it. Hooray for Paris!

Brooke said...

I love the grocery store incident. How fun that you were able to go to Paris! It looks like it has romantic potention (without kids, of course).