Friday, February 19, 2010

Barcelona

We just got back from a lovely trip to Barcelona. We had never been there and it was my first time back to Spain since my mission. We were hoping for some warmer weather than we had but it was a fun trip nonetheless.
We started off with a trip to the Boqueria...the big food market in the city. When in Spain, must have picture taken with jamon:


We saw a lot of Gaudi architecture, including the Sagrada Familia, which is massive. They have been building this church since 1909 and it is still under construction. They have scaled down Gaudi's original plans somewhat but are mostly following his design. Rob kept saying that Gaudi must have been on acid with such a unique style especially for the early 1900's. His stuff is crazy but it is really cool and vibrant which I think fits Barcelona perfectly.




We also saw the aquarium which was really great actually. There was a huge interactive part that Easton could have lived in.


Outside of the aquarium:


And the food. It wouldn't be Spain without some favorites. We had paella for dinner:

Wow.
And I ate my weight in sugar with a whole box of polvorones and a squirt bottle of Nocilla...that's right, squitable chocolate goodness:


We spent time in some Spanish plazas:


And on the beach, even though it was not exactly beach weather:


We also had a run in with some real Barcelona street crime when our backpack was nearly stolen in McDonald's. Long story short, I noticed sketchy loiterer by the restrooms but soon got distracted with crazy kids. Man takes backpack, Rob walks up stairs just in time to see man take backpack. Rob yells, I snatch bag back, Rob gives out some minor insults in spanish, and I am totally paranoid for the rest of the night. Crime scene:


There is an entire park that Gaudi designed and it is full of his art, buildings, sculptures, etc. It is on the top of a serious hill...I mean serious. There are escalators on the side of the road to get up to this park. Here is Rob pushing the stroller up...this pic totally does not do justice to the incline but oh well:

Gaudi tunnel:

Gaudi building:


We had a great trip and can't wait to go back to Spain in May when we visit my mission...yay!

And...who doesn't love a nice toothy grin?

10 comments:

Julie said...

gorgeous architecture! What a fun trip!

Kari said...

I've been excited to see these pictures. Barcelona looks so interesting! Remember the paella we had in San Francisco when we got lost on the scary bus route? I love the new pictures of the boys at the top of your blog too.:)

Brooke said...

Very cool! I love the play-by-play when your backpack almost got stolen. You need to teach rob more than "minor insults" when stuff like that happen. :-) j/k Pretty scary stuff.

Nicole Sue Taylor said...

How amazing!! Have I mentioned recently that I'm jealous of all your travel? Is it doable with your kids?

ashlee said...

So fun! And look at you guys, crimefighters.

Lizzy said...

Great pictures of your recent adventure! How fun! And man, if that had happened to us, I would have been completely paranoid the rest of the night too - good job grabbing the bag back!! Miss you guys.

Brooke said...

I'm glad you got your backpack back. I'm also glad you guys get to take 2 whole trips to Spain.

Sarah said...

Katie it sounds like you guys had a good trip to Barcelona! It is exciting to see your pictures because I have pictures of many of the same places that you guys visited. I am sorry to hear about the attempted criminal act against you. I also witnessed bag snatchers on my trip to spain. it was not even my bag. What a scary situation. Can't wait to hear about your next trip.

Kristen said...

ok, you've seriously got to quit going to so many amazing places so I don't feel so bad about never going anywhere!

What fun and neat experiences though to share with your little family. The boys are looking adorable as always!

PS Glad you "foiled" the backpack thief!

The Hunzikers said...

KATIE!!! Oh my goodness!! I was so excited when you left a comment on a my blog because I think and wonder about you all the time. It has been fun to catch up on what is going on with you! I miss you!

--Beth